August 26, 20223 yr 39 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said: Hope all are ok! This is giving me flashbacks of SOB incident. I hope everyone is ok! Edited August 26, 20223 yr by Orion742 Accidentally clicked submit before I finished
August 26, 20223 yr Wow, this is awful. I hope everyone is ok and recovers well!But on a side note, this could be the final nail in the coffin for not only El Toro but for Six Flags as a whole. With all the trouble they are dealing with currently, this might just multiply it by 10.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
August 26, 20223 yr Noooooooo! My mom and I took the 9 hour drive to Six Flags Great Adventure back in August of last year, but it was closed because of the accident in June. I’m going to be really disappointed if El Toro gets closed down forever after this accident.
August 26, 20223 yr darn, scary stuff. Balder is down for a full year full retrack. Colossos was closed for multiple seasons as the ride was completely redone as well. If SF is willing to keep El Toro, I think they need to follow suit and fully retrack it, not the patch job they did last year.
August 26, 20223 yr This could be it for the ride, but then again Six Flags hasn’t been known for having the safest rides- heck they relocated their painful Intamin free-spin model to Canada. On a side note, I always found it problematic that the majority of the Six Flags parks bare the name “Six Flags.” When you hear of a ride breaking down at a Six Flags named park, it doesn’t really ensure a lot of confidence in the chain. Not that incidents should be anticipated, but at least with Cedar Fair or Herschend if something happens at one of their properties it’s not reflecting the entire chain like it does for Six. With regards to El Toro, I wouldn’t be surprised if the state shuts the ride down for an indefinite period of time.
August 26, 20223 yr Scary stuff. Hope the guests are ok long-term. It will be interesting to find out if this was a park issue or if it was another Intamin design issue.
August 26, 20223 yr ^They just re-tracked it after an incident where a wheel came out and part of the train shredded 2000-3000 ft of track. That wasn't even the 1st time it was re-tracked. I'm going with Intamin design flaw.
August 26, 20223 yr Have the other intamin prefabs had issues like this? I believe SFGAdv creates its own prefab track pieces, so I wonder about its quality. Though honestly, as good as those rides may be, the fully prefab wood coaster concept appears to have failed. You pay steel coaster prices to build something that still needs re-tracked now and then and its expensive re-tracking to boot. Especially true now that we have new track options from Gravity Group and GCI.
August 26, 20223 yr Sounds similar to the SOB accident - ledgers breaking. I hope all those injured recover!
August 26, 20223 yr So even with other track designs, large wooden coasters aren't the best way to go.
September 4, 20223 yr John Allen's theory from the 70's still hold true. Wooden coasters shouldn't be more than 110ft or so tall, too many forces, pressure, etc on track & structure. Keep in mind he told KI engineers if they were going go as high as they were & as fast as they were with The Beast that the turns should all be fairly low to the ground to avoid undue stress on the structure....
September 23, 20223 yr An update- https://www.phillyvoice.com/el-toro-six-flags-closed-roller-coaster-great-adventure-malfunction-injuries/
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.